Tuesday 1 December 2015

Women of the Hour - Friendship


Recently my friend Yasi recommended Lena Dunham's podcast, Women of the Hour, to me. Lately all I want to listen to is Weezer and my favorite podcast at the moment, Doughboys, so it was a tough sell but I took her recommendation and started with a mini-sode about friendship. In 20 short minutes, Lena and her friend Jemima Kirke talk about the history of their friendship, and the ups and downs they've had navigating a shifting power dynamic while growing together. It made me think about the people I consider my closest girl friends, and I felt guilty for not reaching out to them as much as I should. I worried I wasn't asking them about their lives and days enough. I like to tell myself I don't keep in touch enough because I'm busy, but the hours I've been spending on the Kardashian app could definitely go towards checking in with the people I love.

Here are some of the responses I got..







I contacted a lot of friends from over the years. Calla was my best friend in elementary school and will always be like a sister to me. Rachel is my current bandmate and a more recent friend. Megan and Lauren became my bffs in middle school. Katy and I became friends in college and were bandmates for years. I love them all, and it made me sad that I might not have been there for them enough, but I'm grateful listening to this podcast, isolated in my car on my way to work inspired me to reach out and let my loved ones know they're loved. I'm going to do my best to make a habit of it.

I've since listened to all of the episodes of Women of the Hour. Each one is inspiring, motivating, and educational. I recommend you take Yasi's advice like I did, and start with this bonus episode. And obviously check out Doughboys, cause it's the only thing I care about right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment